Recently, we’ve been made aware of an account sending [PMs like this one to](https://i.imgur.com/FMEareR.png) verified posters in /r/RealGirls. There are a couple of possibilities here:
1. It’s legit and the site, which doesn’t appear to even exist yet, will pay you for your nakeds. (Least likely scenario)
2. It’s a scam, and you’ll end up being the unwitting spokesperson (spokesbody?) for snapchat, ewhore, and dating site spam for years to come. Or maybe worse…(Mostly likely scenario)
We’ve put together a little FAQ to help you navigate this issue. As always, if you ever receive threatening, harassing, gross, or spammy PMs from anyone, [immediately report them to us](https://www.reddit.com/message/compose?to=%2Fr%2FRealGirls&subject=Harassment%20Report), and then [report them to reddit](https://www.reddit.com/report). Be sure to include screenshots of the offending messages when reporting to us, and links to the PMs in your report to reddit.
##I received a message like this and I kinda lowkey wanna try it. What’s the worst that could happen?
As stated above, your pics could end up being used for spam…not the end of the world, but not great, either. Here’s a few more things that could happen when you do business with creeps:
* Every piece of information you give them (payment info, etc) provides them an additional vector by which to uncover your IRL identity. From there, they may shake *YOU* down for money, threaten to expose your online exhibitionism to your friends and family, or maybe your workplace.
* Building on that point, they may uncover your IRL location. Maybe they live/work nearby. Maybe they have the means to travel there. I’m pretty sure you don’t need me to paint the whole picture, that’s really bad fucking news.
* Never underestimate the dedication of bored people on reddit…one of them will eventually discover that your pics appear on a pay site, and they’ll report you to us and to other subs who don’t allow posters who accept payment (rule 2). Your posting privileges will be permanently revoked here. And probably those other places, too.
* Once you sign over the rights for use of your images to a 3rd party, you lose the right to control where those images appear and the right to have them removed.
##What happens when I report a message like this to /r/RealGirls?
The first thing that happens is that we ban the sender from this sub. That won’t stop them from sending messages or from finding fresh victims in our sub, but it’s a good signal to them that their nefarious activities haven’t gone unnoticed. We will forward the info we have to reddit, but reddit rarely, if ever, takes action on 3rd party reports.
##What happens when I report a message like this to reddit staff?
Hard to say, to be 100% honest. Reddit’s reporting mechanisms are a bit of a black box to users and to moderators. Sometimes they take surprisingly swift action on these types of reports. But sometimes you have to keep reporting the same account(s) over and over for months on end. And even then they may not take action. Or maybe they will. But if you don’t make a report, you can GUARANTEE that zero action will be taken. So make the reports…it only takes like 30 seconds.
Again, it is imperative that you take every step you can to keep yourself, your identity, and your LOCATION safe while posting here on reddit. If you feel it would be helpful to yourself or to other posters for us to put together a write-up on best practices for safety and security, let us know down below in the comments and we’ll do it.
And of course, if you have questions that we didn’t cover, shoot us a modmail or leave them in the comments and we’ll answer them as best as we can.
Thanks for taking a minute to listen 🙂